Dating eureka california
Old Carnegie Library Building 636 F Street Eureka, CA 95501 opened 1904 Public library from 1904-1972 currently the Morris Graves Museum of Art grant amount: ,000 architectural style: Classical Revival (Type B) architect: Evans and Tarver From the northwest corner of Seventh and F streets in downtown Eureka, the historic Classical Revival Old Carnegie Library faces the equally historic Tudor style Eureka Inn at the southeast corner; both are listed on the National Register.The Carnegie presents a striking appearance, its red brick exterior contrasted with yellow tapered fans above the windows and Mad River granite lintels and sills.Despite a well-documented 1806 sighting by Russian explorers, the bay was not definitively known by Europeans until an 1849 overland exploration provided a reliable accounting of the exact location of what is the second largest bay in California.After the primary California Gold Rush in the Sierras, Humboldt Bay was settled with the intent of providing a convenient alternative to the long overland route from Sacramento to supply miners on the Trinity, Klamath and Salmon Rivers where gold had been discovered.We proudly serve the northern California community, including the counties of Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity.It is our mission to provide the highest quality of legal services, with adherence to the highest standards of integrity and professional ethics, to clients throughout northwestern California.Eureka was the first city to finance a public library under California's 1878 Rogers Act.Earlier Eureka libraries dating from 1859 had lapsed and revived, but even after city support was obtained the library was housed in rented quarters. Tarver won an architectural competition; Ambrose Foster was the contractor.
This exuberant statement of successful (or hopeful) gold rush miners is also the official Motto of the State of California. The first Europeans venturing into Humboldt Bay encountered the indigenous Wiyot.
In 1901 Carnegie funding was sought, and an offer of ,000 was received. When building costs exceeded the grant an additional ,000 was unsuccessfully sought from Carnegie.
Since 1972 several library administration and historical uses have shared the space, still impressive with the colorful tiled floor of the portico extending to the interior where two story solid redwood columns circle the rotunda. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Many of the first immigrants who arrived as prospectors were also lumbermen, and the vast potential for industry on the bay was soon realized, especially as many hopeful gold miners realized the difficulty and infrequency of striking it rich in the mines.
By 1854, after only four years since the founding, seven of nine mills processing timber into marketable lumber on Humboldt Bay were within Eureka.
The Wiyot are particularly known for their basketry and fishery management.